Monday, September 3, 2012

Radical Hope

It's Labor Day today, September 3rd.  I've had an alright weekend not the most productive but at least I have got some packing done.  My husband mentioned we might be jumping the gun packing; the new house hasn't been approved and worst yet, I'm not even sure my short sale is complete.  I was sent a letter from my agent but it has never actually come from the bank.  I put it on my list of things to do on Tuesday. 

I keep checking in with myself and how my body is doing without radiation for 4 days and I am sorry to report that it isn't enough of a break.  Maybe a week would make a difference.  I have been really tired this weekend and just needed to sleep.  At least I am not feeling as physically bad as I did that second week.  So as I am contemplating my progress, I check my emails.  There is one from a friend who studied dance with me at UNLV.  She is in the middle of filming Liberace at the LV Hilton this week and took the time to forward this newsletter from the Jung Center in Asheville, NC to send me positive thoughts.  She didn't point out which article to read but I noticed this one that piqued my interest called "Radical Hope:  The Healing Power of Illness".  It's for a lecture I cannot attend and it will not be streamed live but what I did glean out of the ad for the lecture validates my thoughts about how something good is going to come out of all of this for me. My feeling is that I will discover some non-profit to start like my angel did or some other work will grab me and spin me into high gear with it's purpose.  I'm going to put those words here since I know many of you may not want to follow the link to the Center.

How can illness be the healing path?
"This path opens us to possess the courage we need to accept reality, leave the role of victim behind, and step forward as a seeker.  It can facilitate our medical treatment, sometimes being a cure, and help us to realize that healing isn't about staying alive.  Rather, healing is about becoming who we are meant to be, living our potentials and moving closer to our authentic selves.  Finding meaning in our darkest moments so that new life and creativity can emerge.

For what then counts and matters to bear witness to the uniquely human potential at its best, which is to turn one's predicament into a human achievement...... suffering can have meaning if it changes us for the better."   Vicktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

This is what I hope for myself and the others who may be reading this searching for answers.  It validates and gives a loud answer to my cry to the heavens:  Why me?

No comments:

Post a Comment